Thursday, June 3, 2010

Humor in Honeybee Swarming Season


It is time for the honeybees to swarm, and we got one this past week. My husband, Dave, from http://www.davesbees.com/ locates a swarm in our yard, and runs to the house to let me know. He starts gathering things he will need, while I suit up. I was completely dressed, camera in tow, heading towards the swarm to take photographs, then I hear…”you’ve got the wrong suit on!” I looked back at my husband, and observed him trying to put mine on; he had the legs in, and was making an attempt of putting his arm into the sleeve to get it up over the shoulder, that obviously wasn’t working. It was hilarious, and while I am getting undressed, to give him his suit, a honeybee is buzzing us both. I must say, I started to worry a bit whether or not it was in the cards to go after this swarm. But all went well, and I’ve included a couple of the photos of the retrieval. I can taste that honey in the fall now… If you have children, or grandchildren, and want to introduce them to the basics of honeybees, and what they do; as well as what they can do to help save the bees; then Buzzzzzzzz What Honeybees Do is the book to buy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment